Saturday, June 30, 2012

“Aruba, Jamaica, Ooo I wanna take you to…”

Ok. So, we are some lucky people. For our honeymoon, we were fortunate enough to go to Bermuda. ?!??!!? Can life get any better!?! What a beautiful place. This is where Nate’s mom grew up, and he still has lots of family that lives there. They were so amazingly kind to us – driving us around everywhere, feeding us, giving us ideas of what to do… the list goes on. What an incredible family. Here are some pictures, then I will tell a little bit more about the trip.

Ahh… Blue waters and sunny skies! 
 The view outside of our hotel room. All of the houses here are different colors like this!
Crystal Caves. Absolutely breath-taking. We had a HILARIOUS tour guide that picked on Nate a lot!

 Nate and the tour guide. 


 :)

We went to the Bermuda Aquarium with Nate’s aunt Lucy.

Horseshoe Bay

Crystal clear waters… :)

This is called a “Moongate.” It’s supposed to be a blessing of fertility… let’s hope that it will wait a bit to work on us…

 This bird is called the Bermuda Longtail. These are fake birds at the aquarium, but the real bird is even more beautiful. We loved watching for them. 

This is on top of a lighthouse that overlooks the entire island… so gorgeous. As you can see, my hand is FIRMLY grasping the railing… I wouldn’t dare go near the edge. At this moment in time, I was afraid of heights.

Classic :)

The place on the very left of the picture is where we ate our last dinner in Bermuda.

This is the view we had for sunset… it was so romantic and breathtaking :) Thanks Arnold and Lucy!

Oh yeah, not to mention there was a Portuguese Man-o-war there! I was stung by one of these in Hawaii a couple years ago! It was so painful!

     So, this gives you an idea of some of the best parts of this trip. I’ll tell a little about it now. We took a red-eye flight from Salt Lake to JFK airport – arrived there at 7:00am… that was interesting. We were given a “Sleep Kit” that had eye-covers, pillow, blanket, and other things. It was the most comfortable plane I’ve ever been on. That doesn’t mean we slept, but it wasn’t miserable by any means. Then we had a little flight from JFK to Bermuda – not nearly as long. 


  When we got there, we had to go through customs (since Bermuda is a British island) and that took a long time. They had to know why we were there, where we were staying, how long we were going to stay, and if we were visiting anyone on the island. Sheesh! Good thing Nate was there, and he’d done it before.
When we got through customs Nate’s uncle Arnold was there waiting for us! I drove in the front passenger’s seat, which is the driver’s seat for American cars… that took a little getting used to. Arnold found humor in this! He took us to our hotel, got us checked in, settled in, and told us he’d pick us up for dinner! So, we took a nap and then went to this awesome little restaurant in the city. Arnold used to be an ambulance driver, so he knew the roads well, and was a VERY cautious and smart driver. He was such an awesome guy! We sat down to eat, and Arnold ordered something called “Ginger Beer.” He asked if I wanted one, and since it had the name “beer” in it, I said no. He quickly responded with, “oh, no – it doesn’t have alcohol!” So I got it – and it was the best thing I’ve ever tasted drink-wise. I got it at EVERY meal from then on. It’s a Bermuda made and sold item, so it isn’t sold anywhere else. Oh man. I miss it. It was kind of like ginger ale, but tons better. Anyway, while we were eating at this restaurant, a huge rainstorm hit! It came from nowhere, stopped after like five minutes, then the sun came out and it was beautiful again. Such random weather!
      Arnold’s wife Lucy took us to the Bermuda Aquarium, which was sweet! There were tons of fish and outdoor animals too. It was a lot of fun.
Soon after we go to Bermuda, Nate’s family threw us a little reception/party! There was TONS of food and it was a blast to hear them all speak! The Bermuda accent is awesome. I don’t know how to describe it – it’s just cool. And the entire family came from the Azores, so they have a slight Portuguese accent as well. They were such great people and a blast to be around! We are so blessed to have such great family members!
     We spent a few days out on the beach, but we took one day to go on a glass bottom boat tour/snorkeling. This was incredible. It was quite cold, but it was so fun! The entire island is surrounded by coral reef – about 5 miles out. On our snorkeling part of the trip, we jumped out and saw the coolest fishes! So colorful! And the reef was huge too! Every once and a while, I would see this little translucent thing that would swim by me… I thought it was something wrong with my goggles, but after following it for a while, it turns out it was a sea walnut!! How cool!!
This is kind of what they look like… closest picture I found on the internet. 

     The current was so strong that we were drifted out quite a ways from the boat – it wasn’t too hard to swim back. We had such a good time there – thanks to Lucy and Arnold for that awesome gift!!
     There was another day that we just walked around downtown Hamilton, and went to all the shops and sat at some park. The only fast food restaurant they had was a KFC, so we stopped and got a milkshake, and just relaxed around town. Nate showed me where his mom and aunts used to work, all while watching businessmen walking around in “Bermuda shorts.” It’s real. Colorful shorts, long black socks with dress shoes, shirt and tie. It’s so funny! I didn’t think businessmen actually dressed like that! Anyway, it was awesome to walk around and just relax. A much needed break from the stress of finals and wedding planning.
     Overall, this was an amazing trip. I loved every minute of it. LOVED. Of course there are more pictures, but there are just too many to share :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment